Reflexology is a very gentle, yet powerful treatment which helps the body heal itself. It is based on the principle that for every organ, gland and system of the body there is a corresponding reflex point on the feet and hands.
Treatment involves the gentle massage of and pressure to these specific points to improve circulation, eliminate toxins and rebalance energy.
The result is a deeply relaxing treatment which can induce a feeling of calm and peace.
Used as a preventative measure to maintain good health as well as a restorative treatment, Reflexology is now recognised by many health organisations as a complementary and effective form of treatment. This is not an exhaustive list but, as a guide, ailments that have been known to respond well include:
- Stress, depression, anxiety & insomnia.
- Asthma, allergies & hayfever.
- Migraines, headaches, and sinus congestion.
- Skin complaints — e.g acne, eczema & psoriasis.
- M.E (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) and M.S.
- Muscular & joint problems — lower back/neck/shoulder pain, arthritis/rheumatism.
- Digestive problems, diabetes, diarrhoea, constipation and IBS.
- Women’s Health — hormonal imbalances, menopause/hot flushes, menstrual problems, infertility, cystitis and thrush.
- Pregnancy — can help alleviate sickness, constipation, backache, sciatica and aid the development of a healthy baby. It is also helpful during labour.
Benefits of Reflexology: healing the body through the feet
- Stress — It is estimated that over 75% of modern day illnesses are brought on by stress-related problems. This ‘preventative’ therapy enables the body to deal with the stresses that modern living imposes.
- Holistic — Treating every body system and all organs, restoring balance and well-being. Reflexology does not concentrate on individual symptoms or problems but treats the whole body, supporting ‘mind, body and soul’.
- Muscle Relaxation — Many factors besides stress can cause muscles to tighten up and the energy in your body is thrown off balance. This treatment restores physical harmony and relieves a lot of unwanted and unhealthy muscle tension.
- Detoxify and Cleanse — Is excellent for the circulatory system as the increased blood flow disperses toxins that have accumulated.
- Re-juvenation — Re-vitalising and re-energising using deeply relaxing techniques thus restoring balance naturally to the body.
- Immune System — The body’s immune system often becomes suppressed with modern drugs. By boosting the immunity the body is better equipped to ward of illnesses and fight disease.
- Pain Relief — Enabling the body to release its own natural pain-relieving agents called endorphins.